Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pad Thai with Tofu and Prawns, Blanched Vegetables with Peanut Sauce

I needed to use up the Thai ingredients that I've collected in the refrigerator, so last night's dinner was Pad Thai with Tofu and Prawns, with a side of Blanched Vegetables and Peanut Sauce. For the Pad Thai, I sort of did a hybrid of Alton Brown's Pad Thai recipe and Thai Table's Pad Thai recipe. My problem with the dish was that I didn't soak the noodles long enough in hot water. So, I definitely messed up the texture of the pad thai. Note to self, next time soak the noodles for twice as long. Also, I can't believe how hard it is to find tamarind paste in 99 ranch market! After 20 minutes, I gave up and settled on the ready-made pad thai paste from Thailand, which seemed to be a combination of the common pad thai seasonings. As a rule, I'm not a fan of ready-made pastes and this was no exception. So, the next time I make this dish, I'll have to ask someone where to get the right paste.

The only saving grace to this meal was the blanched vegetables drizzled with yesterday's left-over peanut sauce. At least I got some thing right!

No comments: