Monday, June 30, 2008

Recovery Meal Du Jour

(Picture courtesy of Runner's World)
I think I'm finally starting to get my training/life balance under control! Well...it also helps that the big race is a little over a month away and I'm behind in my mileage. In any case, I'm considerably proud of myself, because I managed to get in a long run on Sunday and still show up at SF Pride for a few hours. Not only that, but I didn't succumb to any kind of alcohol all weekend even in the midst of the bacchanlian festivites. Huzzah! High-fives all around.

Now, usually after a long run I aim for a heartier dinner to repair my muscles and get my energy back. And I must say that my post-run meal isn't always the healthiest option, considering I've scarfed burgers, steaks, or a full on Filipino dinner (possibly the greasiest assortment of delectable dishes ever) depending on how far I ran. But, since I'm in crunch time right now I really can't afford any slip-ups, even for nutrition. With that in mind, I started scouring the internet for a healthy recipe that will do the job.

Lo and behold, Runner's World once again came through with some majorly good advice. In fact, the meal is even tailored for my exact training needs. Gotta love these guys. Anyways, I'd like to share this meal: Cinnamon Chicken (Koto Kapama), with people on cyberspace who may not lurk on Runner's World like I do. (Click on the link above for the recipe) I can't say that I followed the recipe perfectly, but I never do. I ended up using chicken breast in lieu of a whole chicken, but that's because my girlfriend prefers white meat and it also has less calories. In any case, it was still lip smackin' good! Beat that KFC! Try it out folks and let me know what you think.


P.S. I just found out that this recipe is originally from Iron Chef Cat Cora, who provided it to Runner's World. Chef Cora is also an athlete. No wonder why I like this dish so much, I'm also a Food Network lurker.

No comments: