Tuesday, June 17, 2008

History in the Making

Today's post has nothing to do with training, well..not directly. I'm just feeling really blessed and privileged to be living in this time and place. At 5:01 pm yesterday, the very first official gay wedding ceremony began at San Francisco City Hall. Here's the full coverage: Same-Sex Marriage at SF Gate. Check it out people, it's history in the making.

I just wanted to give a big shout out to those couples who tied the knot yesterday as well as the ones who are intending to wed soon. Congratulations!! It's been a really long road, and I know that they all must have toiled through decades of struggle. But in the end, it sounds like they never lost sight of what was important: each other. I wish them all the best.

So how is this tying back to training? Well, after reading a lot of their stories I can't help but think about when my turn might come around. And if it does, I can't tell you how hard the training schedule would be for that event. Preparing for a marathon is one thing, but preparing for a wedding dress and pictures that my mom will be showing everyone is an entirely different ballgame. By the time the wedding rolls around, I should be fit enough to run the Ironman!

Note: I was just kidding. All I'd really want out of a wedding was for my friends and family to have fun and get drunk. ;)

No comments: