Monday, June 16, 2008

My Little Adventure


Alright folks, I admit that I've been ridiculously lazy with keeping up my blog as well as updating my runs. But, that doesn't mean that I haven't been keeping up with the training. This past weekend happened to be Raquel's birthday weekend. So, being the adventurous girlfriend that I am, I planned a surprise camping/climbing trip in the wilderness with her friends. Now when most people think of camping they think of campfires, smores, and beer. I'm not going to say we didn't have that, but we didn't exactly sit there and sing Kumbaya the whole weekend. This is Raquel and me we're talking about. It's not an outdoor trip unless it involves some element of danger and a degree of physical torture.

Thanks to the ingenuity of Picasa, I've included the pictures from our trip. It chronicles all of the ridiculous physical achievements from the weekend, which include: a 3 hour roundtrip hike up and down the mountain with backpacks in tow, and a 5-pitch climb up the mountain with 5 people. For those who are unfamiliar with climbing, a multi-pitch climb means that once you complete a climb, you don't rapel back down. Instead, you climb to another spot after the end of your first climb. In this case, we'd have to repeat this process 5 times, and each "rest stop" between climbs turned out to be a piece of rock to hang from in the middle of the air (not a ledge).

Now contrary to what my activities indicate, I do not have a deathwish. In fact, this past weekend made me more aware of my fragile mortality and how precious it is. But, I am going to say that I'm darn proud of where my physical fitness level is now. It may have not been the best performance, but at least I made it out of there alive AND I completed every physical test. That being said though, perhaps the next vacation should basically involve the couch, the tv, and some fruity alcoholic beverages.

3 comments:

Mayumi said...

LOL. I heart you. & I wish R's eardrums happy healing.

Unknown said...

You are so impressive! My stomach fell just looking at some of those cliff pics. Wowza.

Unknown said...

Girlfriend you have legs of steel. After that three hour hike you didn't feel a thing and I wanted to just roll down the rest of the trail. Youre amazing and thank you for doing the multipitch climb.