Thursday, June 26, 2008

Are they crazy???

(Picture courtesy of Wikipedia Article)

This morning I was browsing through the SF Gate website, as is my morning ritual, when a climbing picture caught my eye. Here is the posted article:

Speed climbers to try for a record in Yosemite

Apparently, this enormous granite edifice in Yosemite Park, El Capitan, is a mecca of sorts for the climbing community. The first team that climbed it did it in 47 days. And somehow, this generation of climbers has been able to whittle that time down to just under 5 hours. Does anybody else find it odd that the more we evolve away from being monkeys, the more we want to go back to being like them? Go figure.

P.S. I joke about these climbers doing these crazy stunts, yet I'm sure Raquel and her best friend probably are planning to do it, or already have and I just don't know about it. And if they ARE doing it in the future, you bet I'll be that nail-biting, terrified girlfriend watching from the bottom of the rock.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay monkeys!

Although seriously, I look at that cliff and get chickenskin and a tummy ache. Yeesh.