Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Romance and Hardship

Following up on yesterday's post about survival and hiking, here is another article that I found this morning on the same subject matter: First really big date ends happily for missing Shasta hikers. Well, it is hiking season so I'm not that surprised to see a lot articles about missing hikers in the paper. I'm just happy to see that most of them are ending with actually finding those people. The twist to this morning's article is as it's title suggests; a possible romance in the making. As corny as it sounds, I do believe that a stronger bond in a couple can be created through strife. Albeit, this particular brand of strife probably wasn't a good choice for a first date.

Can you imagine the terror these two must have felt when they realized they might not make it off the mountain alive? On top of that, it sounds like they had to rely on each other's survival instincts to find their way out. I don't know about you people, but I wouldn't even trust my first date to order my dinner let alone guide me down a mountain safely, unless my date were Jeff Corwin. Luckily, it looks like this couple has known each other for a while so at least they had some common ground to work with.

Naturally, the story had me thinking about what would happen if Raquel and I were put in the same situation. In terms of athleticism and survival techniques in the wild, I believe that my girlfriend's abilities far surpass my own. But in a potentially dangerous situation, I like to think that I'm the one that keeps a cool head under pressure. So with that balance, I think we'd make a pretty good survival team. Maybe we should try out to be the next couple on The Amazing Race! Although, something tells me that if I pose this question to her, she'll suggest that we watch the Amazing Race on the couch with a pint of cookies and cream ice cream. Party pooper.

No comments: