Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Bouncing Back from Gluttony

In anticipation of the upcoming holiday weekend, I've decided to post about how I compensate for an over-indulgent night (or weekend) of festive food binging. Yes, believe it or not, there's actually a strategy to this. I'm not claiming any credit for the plan though, because I've adopted it from the experts who work at Runner's World: Holiday Weight-Loss Plan. Hopefully, I won't have to implement this plan anytime soon because my nurtition is on lock-down until the race. But, this is for all you folks out there who'll definitely go for the extra helping of BBQ chicken, BBQ ribs, or potato salad this July 4th.

The strategies that they prescribe are separated into types of binging (here's my breakdown):

Overall Food Binge:
  • Ironically enough, you've got to eat a hearty breakfast afterwards. No, don't go to IHOP or Denny's and pig out on the all-you-can-eat pancakes or something. Don't just have a piece of toast or skip breakfast all together either. You need to get your system back on track and jump start the metabolism. So hearty means grainy carby goodness with fruits, ie: Fruit and Granola Yogurt Parfait (around 300-400 calories).
  • Do a looooong run after breakfast. Considering how I am at a holiday feast, I'm usually trying to stuff enough food to sustain me through a winter hibernation. And if said feast is put on by my family (a Chinese clan from Hawaii), there are easily 9 fat-loaded dishes on the table. Take advantage of that carbo/protein/fat load that you did the night before and efficiently expend it over a couple hours of slow running and mulling over whatever family calamity happened at dinner.

Desserts

  • It's actually a relatively new trend for me to hang out with my friends at dessert bars. But, that means ordering every item on the menu and sampling everyone's order. Don't give up the sweets just yet, because your body will just throttle you to the ground till you give in to ice cream. Instead, try to substitute the craving with natural sugars, like fruit.
  • Use the sugar rush the next day and run a speed workout. You've got the energy in you, so don't let it turn into fat.

Pupus/Dim Sum/Tapas

  • Every time I go with a large group of people to eat a "light" meal of snacks, I always end up leaving the restaurant feeling like I've eaten two meals. How does that work? Personally, I'd like to say it's because the company and conversation is so good that you never realize how many times the waitresses have to come to your table with more bite-size dishes. This kind of eating is actually tough for portion control. In any case, the next day I just try to get back to eating normally: no snacking.
  • Crosstrain the next day, then hard workout the day after.

Meat, Meat, and more...Meat

  • This is probably the most pertinent for the upcoming holiday. Since, for some reason the U.S. Independance day translates to scarfing down half a chicken, half a cow, and a quarter of a pig per BBQ. Meat makes me feel lethargic. So use nature's pick me up with a lot of fruit and vegetables the next day.
  • Guess what you're going to do with all that protein. Yep, hardcore strength workout. With the extra protein, you're more than ready to pump iron, rep after rep. Bodybuilders drink protein shakes to get the quality protein I have after a meat binge. In my opinion, my method tastes better.

Ok Internet, hope that was helpful. Happy 4th of July! Enjoy the pigging out and kanak attack (food coma)!

P.S. Not only am I restricting myself from the typical culinary festivites this weekend, but I'm also slated to meet the girlfriend's parents. Believe me, I'm already burning extra calories just thinking about it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OH MY GOSH YOU'RE MEETING THE PARENTS!!!!!

That's exciting! When exactly? Where? Good luck! You will do great because you are a good, sincere, awesome person through and through. What parent wouldn't want their daughter with you?

Mayumi said...

Why do you not CALL US and TELL US these important things!!!!

BAH!

Your workout tips were good too. Maybe you can tell me how to do a workout by sitting on my ass.

Nah. Someone already invented that (and La blogged it): http://thefamouschronicles.tumblr.com/post/40467532/the-hawaii-chair. Brilliant concept, really: all day long 'amis has to do SOMETHING for your bod, right?

M.

Jennica Goo said...

=D uh....WOW! That is one special brilliant chair. I'm not sure if you're doing 'amis on the chair, or if it's just moving you while you relax. if it's the latter, i don't think you're necessarily getting any exercise. it looks more like a crazy ride.