Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I scream, you scream, we all scream....

Last month, I posted about the runner's diet: I Hate Diets, which discouraged eating a tub of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream. I knew that I'd be eating my words one day. Thanks to the lovely people at Runner's World, who recently published this article: Sweet Reward, it looks like ice cream is an acceptable post-run treat. Apparently, even though ice cream is packed with fat and sugar, it also provides a good amount of protein and calcium. Do I think this article can justify me having ice cream after every run now? In two words: Heck no.

To be fair, I didn't say that I could never eat ice cream again. As with all food intake, it's about balance and moderation. So, indulging in ice cream, beer, or bacon every once in a while is perfectly fine. The article labels ice cream as a "post-run treat" for a reason. Since your metabolism is so high, I think you can eat almost anything up to an hour after a good run; even say... a double bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a strawberry milkshake, depending on the intensity of the run. But for me, it's not about maintaining the same level of fitness. If I'm working this hard, I want to progress beyond what I've already achieved. Life is just like that for me. I can go backward or foward (preferrable), but if I stand still for a long time, unfulfillment and ennuis will set in. Movement, in any direction no matter how small, at least gives me purpose.

So do I think that article is a bunch of hogwash? Nah, not really. It just needs to be taken with a grain of salt. At least it justifies the two pints of Ben and Jerry's sitting in my freezer. I can't wait till they write an article that lets me satify my unholy craving for fancy doughnuts and hot chocolate right now.

P.S. I love how they suggest adding corn to your diet at the end of the article, as if it balances indulging in the ice cream. If that's the case, you might as well combine it and eat Corn Ice Cream. Believe it or not, it exists in Queens, NY at Max and Mina's. I know...I watch too many Travel Channel programs which involve food.

1 comment:

Mayumi said...

This reminds me of when we used to argue about cheese and you never believed me about the protein.

bwahahahahahah, i love it when you eat your own words. for your sake, i'm glad the words are delicious ones like cheese and ice cream.