Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My legs feel like jelly

(photo courtesy of Pilates Digest)




(photo courtesy of getfitsource)

The above photos are the two instruments of toture that my personal trainer selected today to try to break me. But, there is much to say about pride and pure stubbornness. Both of which, I've been told, are prominent traits in my family that I've inherited. And I'm convinced that it's with these traits that I'm going to make it through the intense program that my trainer has designed for my half-marathon goals. Because, even though the bosu ball and glider discs (pictured above) seem harmless, I can assure you that they are evil and will continue to painfully sculpt my body for the next couple of weeks.

Now, if you're lucky enough to have these things in your gym and don't know how to use them, let me enlighten you on some of their fun exercises.

Glider Discs

(the little purple plates)
-Pushups: place your hands on each disc, and separate them as you lower yourself. Your elbows should go behind your shoulders. Then, push your hands together towards the center of your body as you push up. This will work your upper body....and the next day your boobs will hurt.

-Mountain Climbing: Get into pushup position, but instead put the discs on your feet. Then keep your upper body still as your feet slide back and forth on the ground, like ice skating. Keep it up for a minute. This works your legs.



Bosu Ball

-Squats: Hold out your arms to the front to balance yourself. As steady as you can, do squats standing on the ball, while keeping your back straight. This is why my legs feel like jelly. It also works your core.

-Crunches: Do crunches while lying on the ball to support your lower back. Make sure to not let your hips drop while you sit up. Instead, use your stomach muscles. This mainly works your core.

-Plyometrics: Stand with one leg on the ball, and one leg off (The Captain Morgan pose). Then, jump sideways, switching your feet on the ball, and landing on the other side with the Captain Morgain pose again. Keep jumping and switching for a minute. This increases flexibility and works your muscles for lateral movement. Of all the exercises, I think this one is the most beneficial to runners.


Alright, that's all I have for now. I'm sure I'll have more exercises in the next session. But, even though I'm sore, I'm looking forward to it. If this makes any sense, this is the good kind of sore.

No comments: