Friday, April 3, 2009

Semi-Freddo (Home-made Cookies and Cream)


Lately, I've gotten into this bad habit of making some kind of sweet, bad for you, dessert on Mondays. Because, that's the day Raquel gets her allergy shots and comes home miserable and grouchy. And, while I was wandering around the internet, I found this awesome recipe for Cookies and Cream, courtesy of Tyler Florence. This turned out to be perfect in so many ways, because I needed to get rid of our leftover Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies from the week before and I LOVE Cookies and Cream. It used to be my favorite ice cream before I discovered Green Tea. I'm not sure if Raquel was a huge fan, because nowadays she prefers frozen yogurt. But, personally I thought it was fantastic.

Here were my healthy modifications:

-skip the caramel. The ice cream already had so much flavor, it didn't really need more toppings. Instead, we drizzled a little organic honey over it.
-Instead of molasses, I also mixed in a little honey into the ice cream.
-I ended up substituting the healthier oatmeal cookies that I made before, instead of store-bought gingersnaps. You can control the sugar content more this way.

No comments: