Friday, September 26, 2008

Wick Away

Last night I was unfortunately stuck running in the gym again instead of outside. Now, I've never really had a problem treadmill running before, especially if something is good on TV. But, it really doesn't beat running on a trail and smelling the newly blooming summer blossoms. And considering last night's incident, I'm overdue for a nice outdoor peaceful run.

Upon arriving at the gym, I found only one treadmill available. So I immediately hopped on even though it was between two very big, potentially smelly men. I just didn't want to wait another half an hour to get my workout started. For the first mile or so, I didn't have any complaints because my running neighbors seemed to be taking it easy. But, halfway into the second mile I started to smell a peculiar odor coming from my left. And on top of that, I began to feel little specks of wetness landing on me from the same direction. Ok folks, body odor is one thing, but when my running neighbor starts sweating so profusely that he starts sprinkling on me with every step that's crossing the line! He invaded the sanctity of my treadmill bubble.

Luckily, I behaved myself and even finished a three mile run before giving up and going home. For that feat alone, I would like to be rewarded with many brownie points and universal good karma. I think I was so traumatized afterwards, that I scrubbed extra hard during my shower. Shouldn't there be gym-going etiquette included with every membership packet? Wear deodarant or wick-away clothes that absorb your sweat as a courtesy to the runner next to you! Alright, I'm done with my rant. Maybe I'm over-reacting. There are some sports where people pay to be sweated on by other people, like Bikram Yoga. So I apologize if I come off as judgemental. It's just my reaction to being grossed-out. It could've been worse, he could've been gassy too.

2 comments:

Mayumi said...

No, dudette, you're right, that IS gross ... and a total gym etiquette NO-NO.

Unknown said...

EWWWW. I am with you and May. Totally gross. That's why gyms provide towels.

You definitely deserve brownie points for sticking that one out.