Monday, September 8, 2008

Congratulations Raquel!


This past weekend, Raquel and I went to Ojai, CA (7 hours south) for a climbing competition. It involved driving on dangerous mountain roads at night (pitch black), camping in the middle of nowhere (no campsite amenities), and riding on a rickety old school bus going 9 miles up the mountain without a guardrail on the road. To say the least, it was mildly traumatic and scary for me. But, I must say that it's also exhilirating watching these talented athletes climb a 15-foot, sometimes 30-foot, boulder without any ropes.

I'm very glad that I only went as a spectator, even though Raquel was trying to get me to compete. I was clearly out of my league, plus there were no ambulances close by. If you fall, the only thing you have to catch you is the twin-size crash pad mattress that you bring. Also, your spotter is in charge of guiding you to the crash pad. Although, it's not uncommon to entirely miss the pad and break something. So you can imagine my apprehension about trying it.

Even though, it wasn't a very productive climbing weekend for me, it was for Raquel. She ended up placing third in her division! To say that I'm proud is an understatement. I estimated about 15 competitors in her division, and many of them were seasoned climbers. I've always been fascinated with watching her climb, because to me it's like watching Michael Phelps swim. She's so comfortable, graceful, and confident on the rock. Plus, the happy dance she does post-climb is cuter than a football player doing his touchdown victory dance.

Anyway, it makes me wonder if she's ever seen me evoke that kind of emotion and superhuman ability when I run or surf. Probably not. But, she's always inspiring me to strive for it. Congratulations Raquel!

No comments: