Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Recipe of the Day: Zippy's Chili

So for the last couple of days I've found myself pretty homesick for Hawaii's Zippy's Chili. But, what am I going to do when I'm about 2000 miles away from home, unwilling to eat the frozen stuff, and in need of a healthier version of it for training? Well, I went online and found a Zippy's style chili and modified it to my needs. As you can see, it turned out pretty close to the original chili! And after inhaling a bowl full of it over brown rice, I can attest that it tastes extremely close to the original as well. Give it a try!

Here's the base recipe that I modified: Zippy's style chili.

And here are my modifications:
-No MSG
-4x the amount of vegetables listed
-No chili beans to leave more space for the increase in vegetables
-use 93/7 beef. After the beef is browned, drain the rest of the 7% fat out so that you're just left with 100% beef.
-substitute cajun sausage for portugese sausage. I only did this because I didn't have time to run to 99 Ranch market to get portugese sausage.
-No ketchup
-use 2x as much ginger. I just did this because ginger is good for you.

Thank you AlohaWorld for being a fabulous source of local recipes for this homesick girl!

7 comments:

Mayumi said...

Seriously. WHY did I tell you to put recipes on your blog?! Now all I do is sit around and DROOL over the glossy pictures of delicious food and think of how far away you are from me and how much I miss you, your gf, and your cooking. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH.

Then I realize: I did this for the greater good. For the Other People. So the WORLD can read of your cooking and running and eventual triathaloning skills.

I am, like, so altruistic.

But I still cry a little inside.

Anonymous said...

Darn you mentioning Zippy's Chili!!! Lol! This recipe looks awesome, though. As soon as it gets a little bit colder here I'm so making that!!!!

Jennica Goo said...

=) Glad I can inspire the east coast-ers to cook up some ono kine grindz.

And May, it makes Raquel and I even sadder that you aren't here to partake in the cooking. That's why the blog recipes are for you. Because, we don't want you missing out. You and Dave are better cooks than I am, and the pics will inspire you to cook good food and enjoy it too. ;)

Jennica Goo said...

Incidentally, I learned something last night while making this dish. Do NOT go shopping with the girlfriend when she's hungry. I'll end up with a grocery bill that is over THREE TIMES the regular amount when I go shopping by myself for the two of us. I don't even know what ended up in that cart.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

oops. i accidentally deleted my comment when i was trying to edit it. basically all i said was "droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool"

but it got cut off because of the line breaks.

Unknown said...

oh! and yay ginger!