Thursday, May 15, 2008

It's not easy being green

This month is National Bike To Work Month, and Silicon Valley is doing it's part by claiming today as our official Bike To Work Day. They even went so far as to provide food and refreshments in these little booths all over the bay for bike commuters who have decided to participate. Seeing this as an opportunity to be green and cross-train, I was all over it.

Now, let me preface this with the fact that I'm a novice biker. I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew when I'm excited, which is enhanced with my unwavering belief in mind over matter. Unfortunately, my confidence as a competent biker was shaken about a month ago when I fell into traffic. Luckily, I escaped unscathed except for a permanent scar on my knee. I like to showcase that as my hardcore war wound. In any case, the incident still fueled my anxiety to proceed with my 11 mile trek into work on my bike.

I'm happy to say though that I made it into work without a collision with a car, another biker, or the road. Hooray! I got to work feeling invigorated and very environmentally friendly. On the flip side, I must say that whoever planned this event needs to understand weather patterns better. Of all days to pick, he/she chose the day that hits 101 degrees Farenheit. Thus, I'm not looking forward to the ride home in this torturous heat. While I feel great for being socially-conscious and earth-friendly, I think I'll wait until the heat wave dies down before I bike to work again. I'm sorry folks, I'm a horrible resource user when it comes to personal comfort. For now, I'll stick to being a stickler for recycling in lieu of hardcore cycling. Alrighty Internet, I've done my part to help Mother Earth for today, have you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My roomie and I carpooled to work today :) It's not quite safe to bike (requires biking on a highway), but it's a start! :) One day I'm going to live in a place where I don't have to drive my car!