Thursday, August 7, 2008

Trojan Warrior? More like chubby, sweaty, chain smoker!

Please excuse the delay of uploading my running graph from the SF Half-Marathon, folks. I'm having technical difficulties with my Nike+ system. Not only that, but it's an inaccurate graph anyway. Apparently, my running device has become un-calibrated over the last month. So, instead of running 13.1 miles, I look like I ran almost 15 miles. DOH! At least the time and relative shape of the graph will be accurate.

In any case, I do have some race memorabilia to share with you today. None of it which makes me proud or happy. Trust me, I'm not going to be telling this story to my grandkids one day. According to the website, my official finishing time is 3:17:22. Now, I know that I've been happy about finishing the race because I didn't expect to do it. But, 3:17?? Come on!!! I bet you even my almost 3-year old nephew could run faster than me. After I got over the novelty of finishing, the slow finishing time definitely kicked me in the pants. But, no matter...this will just motivate me to really hit my new time goal in the SJ half-marathon: 2:15-2:30. I know that sounds like a lot, but the course is completely flat and I'm actually training now.

And now for the piece d'resistance: my marathon photos. Now, I realize that running photos are notorious for being unflattering. But, I was hoping to look as dignified as the elegant ladies who prefer to race their horses while sitting side-saddle; not a hair out of place in their up-swept coiffures, and not one un-sightly bulge in their riding outfits. This is me we're talking about though, so no such luck. Feast your eyes:






And my personal favorite....


If you don't notice the rather pissed off lady in white, right behind me, look again. I think she's wondering why I sprinted past her for no reason. It's not like it makes a difference if I came in at 3:18 or even 3:19, we're already WELL past 3 hours. So to The Lady in White, I'm sorry that I thundered past you and scared you, but I was going for a good action shot at the finish line. Did I get it? Personally, I think I look like an ad for Tums rather than an ad for Nike. Oh well... There's always the next race!

3 comments:

Mayumi said...

that last photo is totally the one that got you called a "Trojan Warrior." If I saw you coming at me like that, I would've been like, fuck, Helen wasn't even that pretty, like we'll totally leave your shores and you can, like, keep Troy. War, shmar. You guys are, like, so brave and fierce. I no like fight.

Wow, I just went from swearing in grammatical English about the Trojan War to talking in pidgin. Who *am* I?!

Jennica Goo said...

Wow, you just showed multiple facets of your personality in one paragraph. I'm impressed.

Yeah, next time I'm bringing a gladiator sword and shield. Charging the shores of another country to save some pretty chick? yeah, alright...that sounds like something I'd do.

Unknown said...

You are adorable. Those are awesome photos.

And for the record, I think 3:17 is an accomplishment. It would have taken me about 96:48, because after running about three or four miles I would have gone to get dinner, had a few beers, checked in to a motel, slept till the next day, run a few more miles, repeated the previous day's post-run activities, taken a day off of running, and then finished the race the fourth day, or maybe the fifth because by day four I would probably have needed to do laundry.

No, seriously, anyone who can run 13.1 miles in the same day should be very proud of themselves. I mean it. That is hardcore. It's not that we can't always strive to improve whatever we do, but I think you should TOTALLY share this with your grandkids and be proud of it.

Dude. You. Ran. Thirteen. Miles.