Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tempo Trail Run Report

I just got back from my favorite tempo trail run and felt the need to report what happened. So, in my new training plan I've tried to include a tempo run* on my favorite trail 3-4 times a week. The trail is scenic, paved, and best of all: convenient. It's only half a mile from my house. Anyway, it's also short enough that my runs can vary from 2-6 miles. Today was a 4-mile day.

The bad part about the trail is that during the summer the bugs come out in droves and the pollen continuously circulates. In other words, it's not the ideal trail for allergy sufferers. Additionally, they've just started construction in the middle of the trail, therefore add sawdust to the cocktail in the air.

Now, I've been running on this trail for the better part of 1.5 years, so I'm very familiar with the environment and the following has never happened before. Around mile 3, I noticed that I swallowed something small and it was irritating my esophagus. I tried hacking it up a couple of times, but it wouldn't come out. Then, I tried swallowing it down, but it wouldn't stay down. I've narrowed down it's identity to 3 possibilities: 1. A piece of tree bark, 2. An errant small leaf, or 3. A bug.

Good lord....I hope it's a leaf. But, considering how I think it keeps moving, I think it's #3 and I'm thoroughly grossed out. Btw, this is now my new reason to improve my breathing technique: In through the nose, Out through the mouth. Alright, I'm off to take a long shower and search for a very large cold beer.

*Tempo Run = A comfortably hard run that is no longer than 8 miles (when training for a half marathon).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

think "leaf" very very hard.

otherwise, you are always talking about getting enough lean protein...

heh heh.