Monday, August 18, 2008

Surfrunner got a new pair of shoes!

Yesterday, I had a delightful first visit to the specialty running store down the street. Not only was this my first time in that particular store, but it was my first time in any specialty running store. Why? Well, because I'm frugal (*cough*, cheap/chang) and I've always viewed running shoes as functional equipment for a cheap, yet all-encompassing hobby. As long as I can run comfortably and my Nike+ system has a slot for the sensor, then it doesn't matter what shoe I get. Surprisingly, I've always thought of my iPod/Nike+ system as more important to my running than shoes. Well, not after yesterday's education.

Now that I think about it, of course I should care about the equipment that will help prevent my long-term injuries. The running expert identified the kind of runner I am: an overpronator; the kind of shoe I need to compensate for that: motion-control or stability; and proceeded to parade a large variety of those shoes to choose from. Not only that, but he explained the type of injuries I would get from running with the wrong shoes because of the way I run (I've already gotten them). Anyway, my favorite parts were that he let me extensively test each shoe: run a lap around the parking lot, and he drilled a hole in the shoe I chose so that it would perfectly fit my Nike+ sensor, all for free. Overall, I gained knowledge and I got special running shoes that didn't cost me any more than what I usually spend! Is that a good deal or what??

For the record, I settled on the Women's Mizuno Wave Alchemy 8. After I bought them, I took my new shoes for an inaugural run and finally broke the 700 mile mark!! That's right, according to my Nike+ system, I've run 700+ miles in a little over 2 years. YAY ME! As for the shoes, they are the lightest, most comfortable pair I've had. My only hang-up is that the trimming is bright neon green. Oh well, it's alright because I'm bringing the 80's back.

Free Surfrunner Tip: I tend to change my shoes every 300-400 miles to prevent injury.

4 comments:

Mayumi said...

your blog is so informational and inspiring.

i just wish it inspired me to go outside and run, instead of sit here and eat shit while I read.

haha.

I LOVE the neon shoes. They're purty. But if you start wearing with purple, I might suggest you hang out with your Filipino Gf a little less often. JUST KIDDING, R!

Jennica Goo said...

Thanks! Hey, sometimes my aim is to inspire people to eat. Besides, it's going to start getting too cold over there to run soon.

And...too late. My running pants are blue-ish purple. They are the ones I'm wearing in my profile pic. Is that too book-book?

Unknown said...

Kind of book-book. Cute though.

You are totally inspiring me to buy new running shoes--like you, I am super chang and usually get whatever's on sale at Sports Authority or whatevers. But lately my knees are objecting to all the weeding and stuff, and I figure 30 means time to pay attention when your knees hurt.

Unknown said...

ps: for real, i think the shoes are cute.