Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Pan-Roasted Pork Tenderloin in Pomegranate Sauce, Brussel Sprouts w/ Pancetta, and Sweet Potato Gratin

Holy wow, if there ever was a meal for seasonal cooking in Autumn, this would be it. Unfortunately, I can't post a link to the recipes, because I got them out of the Cooking Light magazine. But, I can guarantee you that it's easy and every element of each course was in season. Pan-roasting a pork tenderloin is a really good way to sear the meat and keep it juicy, and you can't go wrong with using the leftover juices and pomegranate juice to make a light au jus.

Also, I never expected to like the brussel sprouts as much as I did, because whenever my mom made brussel sprouts when I was a kid, I hated it. I always thought it had a strange flavor. But, if you flavor it with pancetta, dijon mustard, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar, it creates a perfect creamy emulsion to complement the flavor of the brussel sprout's bitterness.

Finally, I really feel like sweet potato is a super food. It has a huge amount of nutrients, and is healthier for you than regular potatoes or even white rice. I'm not sure how it compares to brown rice, but the sweet potato gratin was a better fit for this meal. I'll definitely be making this meal again this season.

No comments: