Monday, December 7, 2009

Braised Short Ribs, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and Creamed Spinach



My friends and I have a monthly Mahjong party that we take turns hosting. This month was my month, so I decided to make a holiday meal complete with christmas flavors, spiced mulled wine, fresh gingrebread cookies, and christmas music. So, I settled on adapting this Braised Short Ribs recipe, because I haven't had short ribs in a long time, it's a relatively inexpensive cut of meat that can feed a crowd, and I didn't feel like roasting a whole turkey to be festive. But instead of shredding it and serving it w/ it's juices over penne, I decided to let the meat stand for itself and serve it as is after it finishes braising in the oven. This dish tastes remarkably like my mom's lamb shank stew, except with short ribs. It was one of my favorite dishes that she made when I was little. And Lo and Behold, I've inadvertently stumbled over the secret to that flavor. HA! I can honestly say this was probably a hit with my friends too, because I have no leftovers. Always a good sign.


4 comments:

OpihiNet said...

Okay... this is the first thing that you've cooked so far, that I am really coveting. All 3 items in fact. It had to happen eventually, I suppose.

Jennica Goo said...

that was a weird compliment.

Unknown said...

Yay sweet potatoes! Oh, I wish I could have been there! Even though I don't know how to play mah jong.

I DO know how to EAT.

I want to eat pretty much everything you put on this blog.

Jennica Goo said...

=) Thank you for the shout out Sidewalk Monkey. =) you know that I love teaching people how to play Mahjong, so you should come one of these times!