Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Prosciutto Wrapped Dates, Asparagus Riesling Risotto, and Cauliflower Bacon Gratin




Tonight's dinner was definitely very decadent. But, I went all out for two reasons: 1. I've been sick for 5 days and haven't eaten much of anything, 2. I wanted to give Raquel a big thank you for taking care of me when I was sick. However, even though I wanted to indulge, it wasn't completely over the top with the minor adjustments I made to each recipe. Here's the menu: Prosciutto-wrapped Dates, Asparagus Riesling Risotto, Cauliflower Bacon Gratin . All of the recipes were courtesy of Giada de Laurentiis, and I have to admit that I'm becoming a real fan of her food (so is Raquel). Also, I know it seems that there was a lot of bacon in the meal, but in actuality I used a lot of prosciutto and turkey bacon. Prosciutto still has that nice saltiness to it, but with a lot less fat than bacon since it's dry cured. Plus, since it's so thinly sliced, I think it crisps up better. Onto my modifications:

Prosciutto-Wrapped Dates:
Throw them in the oven at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Asparagus Riesling Risotto:
-I didn't have champagne lying around, so I used dry riesling. Any white wine will do.
-This recipe is perfect, I'd follow it exactly.

Cauliflower Bacon Gratin:
-use 98% fat free turkey bacon
-use light cream
-skip the bread crumbs
-skip the olive oil at the end
-use low-fat sharp cheddar instead of gruyere

I do realize that the Cauliflower Bacon Gratin pic isn't that appetizing. Next time, I'll work on the plating. It's good to be well again....Note to self, don't go for long runs in the rain, my immune system won't hold up.

2 comments:

Mayumi said...

Oh sweet deliciousness.

BACON = THE PERFECT VEGETABLE.

Unknown said...

i thought the gratin looked VERY appetizing. as did the whole meal. mmm.