Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Rotini with Vegetable Bolognese

I've been feeling a distinct lack of carbs lately, and I think it's been showing in my last couple of runs. It's that draggy, exhausted, heavy-limbed feeling I get after not properly fueling before a run. Anyway, tonight I tried to remedy that with carb-loading. On the other hand, I didn't want anything overly fatty, yet still hearty. So, I settled on this wonderful recipe from Giada de Laurentiis: Rigatoni with Vegetable Bolognese. It was fantastic!! The beauty of this dish is that it truly tasted like meat sauce, yet the dish was completely vegetarian. It's packed with all the bonus vitamins/minerals in vegetables, and lacking the fat from any kind of meat. I didn't even notice that it didn't have meat. Not only that, but Raquel, a carnivore who misses a meaty flavor in vegetarian dishes, couldn't get enough of it. She even went for seconds. Try it guys, you'll be really surprised.

Modifications:
-left out the porcini mushrooms, cause I'm cheap.
-substitute the mushroom liquid with low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
-use half the mascarpone cheese. it still gets nice and creamy.

Hopefully, my next run will turn out better.

No comments: