Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The First Step

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been taking an extended running break. And I still stand by the viewpoint, that every runner needs to take a break once in a while between training. But, that doesn't mean a break comes without a price. If you don't maintain some level of fitness during the break, you can't expect to jump back to the same level of running easily. In fact, that could be downright painful and you'd have to start all over again. So, did all of the surfing, hiking, and climbing during my break help with the maintenance? Sort of...

Last night was my first training run for the winter. I can honestly say that it wasn't as painful as it could have been, but my body was dreading it with all the recalcitrance it could muster. For some reason, my feet felt like 10 pound lead weights for the first mile. That's when you supposedly have to buckle down and focus on your motivation points. But really, I tried my best to zone out and get through it, kind of like giving blood or getting an immunization. On the other hand, while I may not have had a great run, my body did feel amazing afterwards. My skin was tingling, my heart was racing, and I was completely out of breath. And it felt like my body had gone through some sort of awakening from hibernation.

No matter what, starting over at the beginning is going to be hard for anything, especially when I've already reached a certain level. But, I'm going to have to start somewhere and the sooner I take that first step, the sooner I can get back to where I want to be. It's just a good thing my lazy ass has a backup plan, aka...Raquel nagging me every 10 minutes to go for a run that I said I'd do, but would allow myself to get deterred by a House marathon.

No comments: