Thursday, January 28, 2010

Eggs Benedict with Chipotle Hollaindaise Sauce

Last night's dinner was dedicated to Mayumi, whom I consider an expert in eggs benedict. Originally, her blog began as the eggs benedict chronicles, where she traveled all over San Francisco and New York City cataloging and rating every eggs benedict she came across. I was lucky enough to accompany her in some of those tasty adventures, and in turn introduced this dish to Raquel for the first time a year ago. Since then, Raquel has hopped on to the eggs benedict train.

So, I decided to have a breakfast for dinner night. Last Saturday, Raquel and I saw the premier of a new food network show, Mexican Made Easy, starring a new chef, Marcela Valladolid. Raquel and I think this show has a lot of potential, because we really liked some of her tips, the balanced nutrition in her food, and most of all her food itself. It doesn't hurt that she's cute too... Anyway, I gave her Eggs Benedicto a try. Wow...I loved it. And so did Raquel. If you know Raquel, you know that it's a huge deal if she actually went for seconds. The sauce was so light and flavorful, and the use of prosciutto and croissants is really a good idea. I did lighten it up a little with a few minor changes, and a side salad. But, it's good enough that Raquel has been nagging me to cook this for Mayumi the next time she stops by. I just might take her up on that.

Modifications:
-I'm lucky enough to live by a bakery that makes 100% whole wheat croissants.
-I only need 1 slice of prosciutto per croissant half. And while you're at it, throw the prosciutto on the croissant while you toast it, it's nice to have crispy prosciutto.
-I only needed 1/2 a stick of butter (1/4 of what is suggested).
-I used 2 yolks instead of 3.
-I prefer to drizzle the sauce instead of smothering it, like most eggs benedict. So, I probably added more hot water at the end than most to gain that consistency.

3 comments:

Mayumi said...

NOM NOM NOM!

You MUST make this for me next time we're together!

It is not a request!!!!!

Jennica Goo said...

You know me too well...i DO respond better to orders than requests. ;)

Unknown said...

love. i am actually drooling.