Monday, October 6, 2008

Recipe of the Day: Thai Pumpkin Curry


One of Raquel's favorite thai restaurants is Osha Thai Restaurant in San Francisco. And tonight's dinner was inspired by our favorite dish there: Thai Kabocha Pumpkin Curry. I ended up searching the internet and modifying this Thai Red Curry recipe. Now, I've never cooked with Kabocha Pumpkin before. So as I was preparing it, it felt like doing battle with a brick! Here's a tip I found elsewhere that will help in the preparation: Before cutting the pumpkin, place the whole pumpkin in 1/2 an inch of boiling water for about 5-10 minutes. Then, you can cut it up after it has cooled.

Here are the modifications I made for this particular recipe:

-use light (reduced fat) coconut milk
-use low sodium chicken broth
-I ended up using chicken instead of shrimp, but that's just cause I didn't have any shrimp
-add bamboo, and sliced red bell pepper instead of tomatoes and frozen peas
-add a handful of fresh basil
-add garlic to season the chicken (saute the chicken before you start the curry, and set it aside till the end)
-serve it over brown rice instead of white rice

Raquel loved my recreation of Osha's dish, and I thought it was tasty too. In my opinion, I don't think it's to their level of yummy goodness, but at least I don't feel as guilty when I eat it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds delicious!!!

Unknown said...

By the way: REALLY good photo!

Anonymous said...

That looks super awesomely yummy, but in reading about it I have decided that I have lived away from good food for too long, because I cannot for the life of me remember what a kabocha pumpkin looks like.... help? :)

Jennica Goo said...

:) Gracias girls!

HIgirl, a kabocha pumpkin looks like a smaller pumpkin (maybe about 2 lbs.), except with dark green skin. And it's as hard as a rock before you cook it.

ballerinalita said...

I had Osha Thai's pumpkin curry today and I'm definitely trying this recipe. Thanks!