Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mexican/Cuban Fried Rice

I love "work from home" days. I get to be relatively productive while the TV is on in the background. But, my favorite part is that I can play in the kitchen for lunch. Today I was unwilling to eat a bunch of yesterday's leftovers, so I decided to make a different meal from it. Here's what I came up with:

Ingredients
2 cups chicken stock (I used the leftover broth from yesterday)
5 stalks celery, minced
1 small yellow onion, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup of uncooked rice
1 cup of shredded cooked chicken (leftovers from yesterday)
pinch of Hawaiian Sea Salt
1 tablespoon of cumin
1/4 bunch of fresh thyme
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro

Saute the garlic, onions, and jalapenos in extra virgin olive oil on medium high heat. When the onions are translucent, toss in the chicken, salt, cumin, celery, and black beans. Stir fry for 5 minutes. Stir in rice. After rice has been coated with all ingredients, pour in the stock. Turn down the heat to medium and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes. Stir in cilantro before serving.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum! And brilliant! You are totally doing fusion cuisine!